I only recommend products or services I have personally vetted or use on our homestead. This post may contain affiliate links that mean I make a small commission if you make a purchase through the link, but at no additional cost to you. To read our full disclosure policy click here.
Being prepared is something a lot of folks think about after the fact, or when you watch a news clip about a disaster somewhere else. Preparedness is a lifestyle for us, and not because we’re getting ready for some type of Doomsday disaster.
I believe in being prepared for more likely events, like long power outages (we went almost 2 weeks a few years back), extreme weather, financial hardships, or being unable to get to grocery stores. Plus, I enjoy learning traditional skills and merging my modern life with that of the pioneers.
In honor of this amazing giveaway we have going on, like I want
half of okay, everything listed. Here’s my 5 preparedness tips you need to implement now.
Disclosure: Some of the below links are affiliate links or I have received some of the products free to use in exchange for reviews. Regardless, they are items I believe in and think will be of benefit.
1. Create a food storage of some type. Not sure where to get started or feel overwhelmed? Here’s are my 8 Foods You Should Be Storing and How.
2. Make sure you have means of cooking your food without power, 11 Ways to Cook Off-Grid Without Power will get ya started, and also be sure you have a way to heat your home. We use a wood stove and it also provides us with a means to cook, but figure out someway, even if it’s lots of layers of clothes and blankets, to keep warm.
3. Have water or a means of getting clean water. Seriously, this is an area most of us could do better. Have you ever tried to go without turning on the faucet for a full day? It’s a good thing to practice to see how much water we use and a means of making you up your water plan. The Berkley in the giveaway is a great way to get started.
4. Have a light source. In the winter months especially, you’ll need some way to see once the sun goes down. We keep an oil lamp and oil on hand as it doesn’t require batteries or light bulbs to be replaced. It puts off more light than a candle. Bonus, it looks super cool as part of our rustic vintage decor too. Here’s the lamp we have this exact model Lamplight 110 Chamber Lamp *affiliate link
5. Know Jesus. This is going to make some of you mad or be like, what, seriously? And yes, seriously. We can be prepared as we want, but fact is, we’re all going to die. Most likely, we won’t know when. After going through a deadly mudslide in our neighboring town I believe Jesus should be our number one preparedness priority, because we can’t plan when we die, only where we’ll go.
In honor of this month being Preparedness Month, The Prepared Bloggers are proud to present a Mega giveaway.
We are proud to partner with 6 great companies for seven great prizes. These prizes are
the perfect way to either begin your preparedness journey or add to your preps. We will
have seven winners in this giveaway. Each winner will win one of the following
prizes listed below. The giveaway starts September 22nd, 2014 @12:15 am (CST) and ends
September 29th, 2014 @ 11:55 pm (CST). This giveaway is open to anyone 18 years of age
and older who is a US resident of the 48 Continental US States only. Each winner will be
sent an email and the winner must respond within 24 hours or another winner will be
1 Royal Berkey System–From LPC
Survival–This system is perfect for 2-6 people, filtering 3.25 gallons in
about 2 hours. It comes with 2 Black Elements and is perfect for large families but is
small enough for travel.
1 Sun Oven–From Sun Oven–This is a
great off-grid cooking solution using only solar energy. This Sun Oven includes a
cookbook, dehydrating and baking rack set, two easy stack pots, a WAPI, and two loaf
1 Scout Kelly Kettle–From Kelly Kettle–The Kelly Kettle boils water
quick and with very little fuel. It’s great for camping trips, hunting trips and
1 Wonder Junior Deluxe–From Wonder Mill–This is the perfect solution for
making your own bread off-grid. It’s one of the easiest to use hand mills on the market.
A great mill to use in an emergency situation, an off-grid environment or for everyday
1 Propur Big with 2 ProOne 7″ G2.0 Filters–From End Times Warehouse–A clean water supply is
super important in every situation. This gravity fed water treatment system makes it
super easy to always have clean water.
2 Seventy Two Hour Kits–From Survival
Based–Be prepared for a sudden storm or power outage with this all in one 72
hour kit. Complete with fuel to cook the food contained in the kit. Keep this kit in your
car, house, or grab it if you need to evacuate. Two lucky people will each win one 72
1 Case of Six 5lb Creamed Honey (30lb total)–From Cox’s
Honey–Honey is the prefect item to place in you food storage. It’s also great
for a number of other uses. Cox honey is raw and unfiltered making it some of the best
honey on the market.
Thanks again to all of our sponsors.
Melissa K. Norris inspires people's faith and pioneer roots with her books, podcast, and blog. Melissa lives with her husband and two children in their own little house in the big woods in the foothills of the North Cascade Mountains. When she's not wrangling chickens and cattle, you can find her stuffing Mason jars with homegrown food and playing with flour and sugar in the kitchen.