Would you believe that making a homemade cake mix is faster and cheaper than running to the store to buy one in a box? It's true.
Plus, this homemade cake mix recipe tastes better than the boxed counterpart, doesn't contain any questionable GMO ingredients, and can be stored in one of my favorite items of all time, a Mason jar.
This is my great-grandmother's Chocolate Cake recipe and you know when a recipe has been passed down for that many years, it's a keeper. Ain't no one passing down and making a recipe for that many generations if it isn't good, can I get an amen?
Resources for making Homemade Cake Mix in a Jar
1 quart-sized Mason jar
Funnel for pouring in dry ingredients
Embellishments for decorating the jar
Get yourself more from-scratch cooking and time-tested recipes in The Made-from-Scratch Life. With over $20 in free bonuses, this is the perfect book to give with this homemade cake mix in a jar recipe so they'll never go back to store-bought processed stuff again!
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix in a Jar
- Place your canning funnel on your Mason jar
- Pour in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder
- Tap the top of the dry ingredients to help remove the air pockets and settle all of the ingredients into the jar.
- Place a metal canning lid (I wash and dry used canning lids for these dry goods projects) and band on.
- Pretty up the jar however you want, I especially like this red and white jute twine and silver jingle bells for the holidays.
- Attach the FREE printable tag with baking instructions.
Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix Baking Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Combine ingredients in jar with 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup brewed coffee and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until smooth and pour into greased and floured pans (two 8 inch cake pans, one 9×13 baking pan or cupcake tins).
Bake cake for 30 to 40 minutes or bake cupcakes for 16 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
Other Homemade Mix Recipes:
- Homemade Spice Mixes and Herb Blends + Free Printable Tags
- DIY No-Knead Bread Mix Recipe in a Jar
- DIY Homemade Brownie Mix in Jar- Best Ever Fudge Brownies
- Homemade Pancake Mix
- DIY Homemade Pantry Mixes
- Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix 3 Ways (From Scratch!)
Homemade Cake Mix Recipe
- Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Baking Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Combine ingredients in jar with 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup cold water, 1/2 cup brewed coffee and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir until smooth and pour into greased and floured pans (two 8 inch cake pans, one 9×13 baking pan or cupcake tins).
- Bake cake for 30 to 40 minutes or bake cupcakes for 16 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting