Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute
Servings: 1 1/4 cups
This homemade cream of chicken soup substitute whips up in minutes and only uses 5 ingredients to replace any condensed cream of soup. It's full of flavor and can be adapted for dairy-free, gluten-free and turned into cream of mushroom soup substitute.
- 3 Tablespoons butter dairy free use lard or coconut oil
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons flour organic cornstarch or xanthan gum works for gluten-free thickeners
- 1/2 cup milk for a rich sauce use cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth for dairy free, use all chicken broth or non-sweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & dash of pepper
- dash of pepper
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter (or fat of choice).
Whisk in flour. It will make a thick paste.
Slowly whisk in liquids. Bring to a simmer (barely a boil), adding more liquid if it becomes too thick. It will thicken up a bit on cooling.
Remove from heat and stir in salt and dash of pepper.
Need a cream of celery substitute: saute a 1/4 cup of finely diced celery in butter before adding flour and other ingredients.
Need a cream of mushroom substitute: saute a 1/4 cup of finely chopped mushrooms in butter (or fat source) before adding flour and other ingredients.