- 3 eggs, well beaten (Grandma’s notes-beat for 5 minutes until light and foamy)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cooked pumpkin
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup powdered sugar + more for sprinkling the towel
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º Fahrenheit
- Grease and flour a 15×10 inch jelly roll pan with coconut oil and be generous with your grease.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Beat eggs for 5 minutes (yes, the whole 5 minutes) until light and foamy, cream in sugar and cooked pumpkin. Then stir in dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared jelly roll pan and spread until even. Pick up the pan and tap it (the bottom of the pan) against the counter a few times, this makes the air bubbles rise up out of the batter. (I jumped when Grandma did this, it makes a bang)
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until cake is done. Place a clean flour sack or tea towel on the counter and sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, run a butter knife around the outside edge of the cake to separate it from the pan. Immediately, using hot pads, that cake is hot, turn the pan upside down over the prepared towel.
- As soon as cake is out of the pan, place another clean flour sack towel on the short end of the cake and roll up like a sleeping bag. Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your filling by creaming together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, softened butter, vanilla, and maple syrup. Unroll cooled cake and smear the filling evenly over the surface. Reroll the cake, cover, and allow to chill in fridge. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Keywords: how to make a pumpkin roll from scratch, how to make a pumpkin roll without cracking, how to roll a pumpkin roll without cracking