With just 7 ingredients this homemade honey whole bread with it’s soft and buttery crust will quickly become your favorite and must have recipe. See recipe notes for flour choices and freezing instructions. Visit Best Flour for Baking- Home Baker’s Flour Guide 101 for flour selections
- 4 & 1/2 teaspoons of yeast
- 1 & 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 cups freshly ground hard white wheat (or use 9 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour or 10 cups spelt)
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- Add yeast, warm water, and honey to a mixing bowl and mix. Let proof for about 5 minutes. (proofing means water turns frothy and yeast is active) Add in the rest of the ingredients until dough starts to pull away from the side of the bowl. Knead with kneading attachment for 4 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Knead for another 5 minutes. Grease a large glass bowl. Put dough inside and cover with tea towel. Place in warm area and allow to double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide dough into two equals parts. Place in greased 9×5 loaf pans and cover with a tea towel. Allow to double.
- Bake at 420 degrees F for 4 minutes. Lower oven temp to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately take a stick of butter and rub over top of bread.
- Allow bread to cool on racks for at least 30 minutes before slicing. (if you slice bread before it’s cooled you can have a gummy center)
- Freezing Instructions: Bake bread, allow to fully cool (at least 3 hours), freeze for up to 3 months. You can freeze the loaves whole or slice and freeze slices. I prefer to freeze slices so we can grab just the amount we need.
- Thawing Instructions: Thaw whole loaves and/or slices at room temperature. To thaw slices FAST, place on lowest toaster setting and toast frozen, slices will be soft and warmed through, but not toasted just like they’d thawed on the counter but faster.
Keywords: honey whole wheat bread, honey wheat bread recipe, fresh milled flour recipes, honey wheat bread recipe