Fried Donut Recipe – Old-fashioned no yeast
The best fried donut recipe, no yeast, old-fashioned from scratch homemade donuts made just like Ma Ingall’s!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes
- Yield: 24 donuts 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: fry
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds lard, or other traditional fat of choice
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat the fat in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium low heat. You want the oil to reach 375 degrees F on a thermometer.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together sour cream, egg, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour to the bowl and mix to combine. Knead for one minute to form a smooth dough.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/4″ thick. Cut into 1/2″ wide strips.
- Twist each strip, then bring the ends together and form a circle. Pinch ends tight.
- Drop carefully into the hot fat and allow to brown and cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from oil, and lay on paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
If the donuts take more than 3 minutes to brown, the fat is not hot enough. If they brown in less than 2 minutes, the fat is too hot.
Keywords: fried donut recipe, homemade donuts recipe, how to make donuts from scratch, old donut recipe