- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, room temperature
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup blueberries, lightly floured
- 1/4 cup maple sugar or 1/4 cup mixed brown and white sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and set to the side.
- Using a stand mixer or hand beater, cream butter or coconut oil with maple syrup, aka whip ’em together till real good, for 4 to 5 minutes, until it’s light and airy.
- Add the egg yolk to the creamed butter mixture, beating well.
- Mix in half of the dry ingredients, then half of the milk, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients and then the last of the milk.
- Fold in egg whites, lemon juice, and the floured blueberries until just combined. Scoop batter into a 10 inch cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle the maple sugar over top of the batter or the mixed brown and white sugar.
- Bake for 35 minutes.