Bean and Ham Soup-Frugal Suppers
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 1 ham bone with meat
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup chopped rutabaga (or parsnips)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 cups white beans
- 4 cups water
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Chop all of your vegetables up in fairly even size, so they cook evenly. Put your ham bone in a large stock pot, Dutch oven, or slow cooker. Dump in all your vegetables.
- Add the beans, undrained if using canned, drained if you soaked dried beans the night before. Pour in 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a low simmer on the stove top. Allow to simmer for about 2 hours, stirring every now and then.
- Once meat is falling off the bone, transfer bone to a plate. Using tongs, pick off any good chunks of meat remaining on the bone, and put meat back into soup. Add a dash of pepper and salt. Serve.