We all have a dream living inside us. Something we want to do someday. Something we tell ourselves we’ll do when we have more time, when the kids are grown, when our finances are better.
Someday never comes.
There will never be a perfect time to start your dream.
I’ve wanted to be a published author ever since I was a little girl. After I had my daughter, I let that dream take a back seat. But it wouldn’t stop nagging at me.
If God has called you to do something, you will be miserable until you step into your calling.
The day I signed with my literary agent, I fulfilled the first part of my publishing dream.
How to turn someday into today.
1.Make it public. If others know about your dream, they’ll hold you accountable. Tell people, “I’m a ______”
2. Set aside time every day to work on your dream. I have a regular day job, a part time job, this blog, and two small children at home. You can find the time to work on making your dream a reality. Look at your schedule and see where you can make room. It doesn’t have to be a large chunk, just daily. I write in the morning, on my lunch break, and after the kids are in bed. I don’t watch much t.v.
3. Make weekly goals. You may not be able to meet a daily goal every day. If you set a weekly goal, you can take up slack on days where you have more time. It’s important to make goals you can reach so you don’t feel discouraged, but they should make you grow and move you closer to your ultimate goal.
4. Educate yourself. You may not be able to go to a course or conference right away. Start with books and magazines that teach you. Look at your local library for books on your subject. Read at least one teaching book/magazine a month.
5. Never stop learning. Don’t allow yourself to grow stagnant. Listen to others who have gone before you. Follow their blogs and apply the advice.
6. Re-evaluate. What worked for you six months ago, may not later. Re-examine your goals. Know what works for you and what doesn’t. Be honest with yourself.
7. Pray. Ask God what He wants for your life. Don’t just tell Him you want things, ask for His guidance.
Let’s do our number one step today. What is your dream? Share your “I am a ______” statement with us.
For those of you who are writers, I’m going to help you out. One winner will win a ten page critique from me of your novel and query letter.