Pioneering Today-5 Reasons to Use a Clothesline

This past weekend, a child in our neighborhood saw me hanging our clothes on the line. “Why are you doing that?” she asked, “Don’t you have a dryer?”5 Reasons to Use a Clothesline @MelissaKNorris #PioneeringToday

I stifled a laugh and replied, “Yes, but this saves money and the environment.”

But her question made me think. Why do I choose to hang clothes out on the line?

1. To save money. During the summer months, when I can hang out our laundry to dry almost every day, I knock off $50 from our electric bill.

2. To make my clothes last longer. You know that wad of lint you pull from your dryer vent? That’s your clothes wearing out faster. Your tossing some of your clothes and money into the garbage when you empty the lint drawer.

3. Relaxation. Yes, you read that right. Something about pinning clothes out on the line relaxes me. I think it has to do with the fresh air and the beautiful earth God created for us.

4. Prayer time. When I hang up an article of clothes, I pray for the person they belong to. It may only be fleeting, but each of my family is covered in prayer when I dry clothes on the line.

5. The scent. No bottle of scented laundry softener can measure up to the sun and wind dried scent of clothes on the line.

Here’s a few tips when hanging clothes on the line. I hang all pants and shirts from the hem. This leaves no clothes pin marks on the shoulders and collars. The weight of the waist keeps pants from looking wrinkled and allows the thicker waistband to dry completely.

If you can’t abide the feeling of stiff towels, then pop in the dryer for just five minutes. They’ll fluff up without padding your electric bill.

I use an old wide mouth Mason jar to hold my clothes pins. It’s both decorative and functional.

What’s your favorite thing about laundry? Do you have any tips for me? What chore do you enjoy doing?

This post is featured on The Better Mom and Conerstone Confessions Titus Tuesday.

Related posts:

Comments

1. says

Love the images this conjures up, and so glad we’re moving to a place with a clothesline soon! I pray as I take clothes out of the washer/dryer now, but love the idea of praying as I hang them on the line.

• Melissa Norris says

You’ll have to post pictures of your new place, Heather! I find myself more in a hurry or grabbing handfuls of clothes when I transfer from washer to dryer, the clothesline makes me slow down. :) Congrats on your new place.

2. Jentry Wright says

I like the saving money part! LOL Having our family increase to #5 is going to require saving money any way we can!

• Melissa Norris says

Yes, the saving money part is nice. And I still don’t see how something so tiny can make sooo much laundry, but those babies do.

3. says

This is great! We just moved into our new home recently and are looking to add a triangle/umbrella style clothes line in the back and I’m so excited to start using it!

Blessings,
    Nicole
    Working Kansas Homemaker

• Melissa Norris says

Nicole, congrats on your new home. Have fun w/ your new clothesline. I’m sure you’ll love it and the memories you’ll be making in your new place. Thanks for stopping by.

4. Rebecca Bertrand says

I love hanging my clothes out to dry. We are not permitted to have a clothes line (neighborhood association) so I use a couple of drying racks and if I need more room, I use hangers and my patio furniture. Now I need to figure out how to hand sheets. :) Bonus: No static electricity!

• Melissa Norris says

Rebecca,

You’re right, no static! I’ve tried drying racks and I do use them some in the winter. But the one I have is small and when I’m gone at work, I worry about the dog running by and knocking it all over. Way to go for not letting your neighborhood association deter you from drying your clothes outside.

• Melissa Norris says

So glad you stopped by, Erika. I hung a load this morning before work & look forward to taking it down this evening.

5. says

I so need to get back to putting my laundry out on the line again. Got a new dryer this year and haven’t gotten back into the habit. It’s such a good money-saver and as you mentioned…a relaxing quiet time.

I would love it if you would consider linking this up to Titus 2 Tuesdays. This is right down the alley of why TTT was created.

Hope to see you there.

Kathy

6. says

Before I left Florida last winter, our dryer broke. Instead of buying a new one, I hung out all of my laundry to dry. We had only a short clothesline so I had to really stick with that whole one load a day mantra; I was lucky to get a whole load on the line at once. Florida sun can be harsh on colours, though– I could only hang things out after noon when the back porch was in shade. Just one more reason to be thankful for our overcast Washington skies.

• says

Vanessa, I love your perspective of looking at things from the positive. Sometimes I tend to grump at our overcast skies, but there is always something to be joyful about. Thanks!

7. Elaine Leister says

I had to move away from my little country home to an apartment in the city. I miss it terribly… I use my balcony to hang out my clothes on a drying rack. I think I am the only woman that does it here in the complex. It keeps towels fresher longer to hang them out between uses. tip: chip-clips and clothespins are interchangeable. Both will hold a bag closed or hold clothes on a line.

• Melissa Norris says

I was just in the city this past weekend, Elaine and I saw clothes draped over the balcony drying. It made me feel at home and I thought, there’s a kindred spirit.

Love your tip about the chip-clips! I even use them to hold folders and papers together in a cinch.

8. Dawn says

I love to hang out the wash. My mom use to do it when I was a kid and it just seems like it is the right thing to do… the only down fall I have is the farmers feel they have to spread there cow poo after I hang them out .. but why stop when the summer is over i keep going well into the fall and when the first spring breeze starts. thanks for the blog.

• Melissa Norris says

Thanks for stopping by Dawn. Not a good idea to hang a load out on a windy day if your husband is getting ready to mow the lawn. Green confetti stuck to your clothes is not my idea of a party. I’ve even hung clothes out on a sunny day in February, though they’re rare and far between.

9. Susan Fryman says

I love hanging clothes on the line for all the same reasons you do. It just makes me smile on the inside. One thing I’ve started doing is adding a little white vinegar to my clothes during the rinse cycle. Softens the clothes even further especially the towels and jeans which can sometimes dry a tad stiff. There is something quite spiritual for me about hanging the laundry out. Blessings and thanks for sharing.

10. Faye says

Thank you. I enjoyed this. I love hanging my clothes out too. One thing I do know to do is wipe the line off with damp cloth good b4 hanging your clothes out after it has set from winter. My lines are under trees and it does get dirty. Thank you for the prayer idea.

11. alisha says

My husband thinks I’m crazy to hang up clothes in the summer time, we did it growing up to make the dryer last longer, and keep it cooler in the summer. And I say as long as I have a yard to do it in I am going to hang up clothes. We just don’t normally hang out underwear or things like that, its fine out in the country, but if you live in town its not such a good idea if you want to keep on decent terms with your neighbors. The 50 bucks a month is a great incentive to keep doing it, bonus for my personal spending budget!!

Trackbacks