This is one of my favorite recipes. I’ve tried the unstuffed version and the oven version, but this is best cooked on low in the slow cooker. Is there any busy woman out there who doesn’t love her slow cooker? It’s like having a kitchen robot, I tell it when I want dinner, toss in the ingredients, and at supper time, an amazing meal is ready. Now if we could do this for the rest of the house…
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliates. If you purchase something, I receive a small commission that helps keep this website free. Thank you kindly for your support.
Delicious Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls
Depending upon how long you’re gone for the day and how hot your slow cooker cooks, you might find it over cooks. Because my sweet mother lives up the road, I’ve often dropped off my slow cooker so she could turn it off for me, but now that I’ve discovered from our affiliate partner Amazon this little programmable slow cooker (isn’t that the coolest thing ever), I won’t have to try and fit putting my slow cooker in day care while I’m gone.
My picky seven-year-old will eat these slow cooker cabbage rolls with gusto and it’s even better the second day.
Combine rice, egg, liquid, onion, garlic, beef, salt, and seasonings in large bowl. Tip: If you want more veggies, try grated carrots or cauliflower in place of the rice or quinoa. Place 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of leaf and roll, tucking ends. Place cabbage rolls seam side down in slow cooker.
Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour over rolls. Depending upon the size of the cabbage, I sometimes double the sauce if I have more than 10 rolls, or if I want extra sauce to sop up my bread.
Cook cabbage rolls on low 8 hours in slow cooker, or on high for 4 hours if you didn’t get it started in time. Now ooh and ahh with your family. It’s the perfect mix of sweet and sour. The texture of the cabbage reminds me of pot stickers, another favorite.
- 10 cabbage leaves
- ½ cup uncooked wild rice, quinoa, grated carrots and/or cauliflower)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup water or broth
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- Sauce (If you like lots of sauce, feel free to double this, I’ve done it both ways)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Boil a pot of water and add head of cabbage, cook for 2 minutes and drain. (You can freeze cabbage then thaw and skip the boiling part. We just need the leaves soft enough to roll)
- Combine rice, egg, liquid, onion, garlic, beef, salt, and seasonings in large bowl. Place ¼ cup meat mixture in center of leaf and roll up like a burrito. Place seam side down in slow cooker.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together and pour over rolls. Cook on low 8 hours in slow cooker.
In Pioneering Today-Faith and Home the Old Fashioned Way, I explain practical and easy methods to cook from scratch, garden, preserve your own food, and see God’s fingerprint in your everyday busy life. Read the first chapter for FREE and bring simple back to your home.
The sauce is especially good when sopped up with some homemade bread made in less than 5 minutes a day.
What’s your favorite slow cooker dish?
Looking for more healthy slow cooker recipes?
Try our gluten free frugal Ham and Bean soup at only $.54 cents a serving!