Intercessory Prayer- How to Stand in the Gap for Loved Ones

Last week I shared how God used an addict, my brother, to convict me of Godly compassion. I was overwhelmed by the support and outreach from readers who have had addiction touch their lives. It touched my heart, because you see, I was scared to share that with you. I even considered taking the article down when I first hit publish.

So I want to talk about prayer, specifically praying for an addict.

Prayer is the most powerful tool we have in our arsenal when it come to fighting addiction, and my dear friends, it is a battle.

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the author, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

Simply put, addiction is from Satan, for his goal is to steal, kill, and destroy us. John 10:10

When we pray on behalf of someone else we are standing in the gap before that person and God. You are also engaging in spiritual warfare.

First, if Jesus is your personal savior, then through His blood the enemy has been defeated (Revelation 12:11) and as His heir you have claim to this promise and power.

When praying ask God to put a hedge of protection around you and your loved one. Job 1:10

Second, you need to plead the blood of Jesus over yourself and the person you are praying for. It is only through Jesus’ blood shed on the cross that we have any authority over the things of this earth and the things of the spiritual world.

Third, the word of God is powerful and living. Pray aloud God’s promises from scripture. Isiah 61:1 is an excellent verse in regards to addiction.

Many of you have prayed and may not see immediate results. Do not become disheartened. In Daniel 10:13 we read that an angel coming to the prophets aid was detained in battle for 21 days. Our prayers are heard and are effective, but the battle must still be fought.

God tells us to pray without ceasing. Our prayers allow God to work where sin has shut Him out.

Let us pray together,

Dear Lord,

We pray a hedge of protection around ourselves, our homes, family, and name of person. We plead the blood of Jesus over _________’s addiction. We plead the blood of Jesus over their desire for drugs/alcohol. Your word promises to set the captives free and to release from darkness for the prisoned. We pray that your Holy Spirit would work in our hearts and ________, that your name would be uplifted and glorified.

In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

What verses do you to proclaim God’s promises to us?

Remember to sign up to receive posts for free to your email. I’ll be hosting author Donna Pyle from her Bible study on God’s Armor and fighting spiritual warfare. Just go here and click on the subscribe button.

Related posts:

Comments

1. Barbara Barrows says

Hi i have a 24yr old son who was brought up in the church. And now he is gay, how can i stand in the gap for him as he has totaly turn away from God. when i tell him to pray he tells me he dont do pray. this is not how he was brought up this way.
    Can you plz tell me how to stand in the gap?

• Melissa Norris says

Barbara,

First off, realize that you can’t change your son. Only God has the power to change any of us. Release your son to Jesus. Pray that your son’s heart would be softened to hear Jesus and His call. Take your son by name before our heavenly Father. Even when we don’t have the words to say, the Holy Spirit will intercede on our behalf. Jesus knows your heart. Give all your sorrow, pain, and frustration to God. Tell Jesus out loud what your feeling about your son. Ask Jesus to give you peace. Ask Him to turn your son’s heart back to Jesus. And you’ll probably have to do this daily and perhaps for years. But know God hears our every prayer from a sincere heart.

Dear Jesus,
      You know Barbara and her situation. We pray that you would send your Holy Spirit to minister to her and her son. We pray that you would set the captives free, Jesus. You are a God of peace. Please give her peace and show her how to live out a godly and pure love to her son. We pray that you would lift her up, in Jesus name, Amen.

2. andrea says

My boyfriend needs prayer for n his addictions…we have a 6 month old baby and he was the everyday dad to my teenage daughters. I kicked him out after finding drugs and have tried everything to get him back to our family. Satan is destroying nick and our family. I have been praying and praying but nick still denies wrongdoing…what more can i do to save him if he isnt willing or able to save himself?

3. says

My name is Kat I have my life and need power of holy Spirituality to say no to drugs my husband. Of 15YEARS AND JUST OUT OF REHAB STATE PRISON FOR 7 CLEAN HAS JUMP OFF THE WAGON PLEASE PRAY GOD WILL STIR HIS HEART TO RETURN TO RECOVERY CLASS AND CHURCH WITH ME I STAND IN THE GAB FOR ADDICTS EVEN AS ONE THANK YOU. JESUS FOR LOVEING US.IT IS ALL COMING FROM THE NEED OF MONEY PLEASE PRAY FOR OTHER JOBS TO COME HIS WAY SO HIS NOT USEING TO MAKE MONEY

ALL.STEAMING FROM THE NEED OF MIN

4. mary says

My nephew Daniel (age 35) needs desperate deliverance from crystal meth. He has always suffered with depression and now he has fallen prey to this drug. He has had a lot of disappointments in relationships and he has a hearing on Nov. 7 to see his 12 year old son Jonathan. We desperately need prayer and a miracle.

• says

Mary, thankfully, our God is a God of miracles. Dear Jesus, we pray that you would work in a mighty way in Daniel’s life and that of Jonathon’s. May your might hand be upon them. We know you’re a God of healing and You promise to set the captives free. We claim freedom for Daniel, that his life may be a testimony for You and Your glory. In Jesus name, Amen.

5. says

Dear Melissa my boy Mitchell is in grave danger of being lost forever to prescription drugs and heroine smoking Mitchell sometimes looks as if he is possessed by demons i pray and am a great believer in St Micheal The ARK ANGEL my son now as i am writing this a patient in a mental hospital and is self harming himself i need extra help in driving his demons out i like Micheal the ark angel fight fire with fire i cant leave this fallen child behind Mitchell is 19 years of age. Regards Martin

6. Donna says

Please be in prayer for my son Austin, he was raised in a spirit filled church, and he himself with no pressure from anyone asked to be saved and later baptized but later has been caught in the snare of the enemy and is addicted to drugs. I too am a intercesor but am feeling so weighted down for my battle with my son.Please remember us.:) Thanks

Trackbacks